All the computers in my classroom have French as their primary language. Students navigate through French menus and get French error messages. When a student uses Garageband, the names of the instruments are all in French. iMovie’s trailer templates now have French sentences for students to customize. Using each and every program becomes an immersive, authentic language experience.
Here’s how to add French as a system language on your Mac:
1. Open system preferences by clicking this icon on the dock:
2. In the window that opens, click on the Language & Region icon (flag in top row):
3. Click the + under the preferred languages box:
4. Choose Français and then click on “Add”:
5. Choose whether or not you would like French or English to be your primary language. I highly recommend this option for French Immersion and Core French classrooms.
All done! You will likely be prompted to restart your computer.